448050911201448 California School Mask Mandate | Polka Dots and Protons - Interactive Science Notebooks & More

My goal is to make interactive science notebooks engaging for 5th grade and middle school science students while improving science test scores. NGSS expert, teacher, tpt author, mom, & widow

California School Mask Mandate

Am I tired of wearing a mask? Yes. The paper fabric frays and itches my nose. It is hard to hear my students and it is hard to be heard. It is not my favorite. 

Do I follow the law? Yes. The current California law is that all people on campus are to wear masks when indoors. This will hopefully change soon. But for now, this is the law.

I am a classroom teacher. I do not make the laws. I provide a safe and fun learning environment for students. I model law abiding behavior. I am so grateful that my students aren't protesting. I thank them every day. The parents of my students have been wonderful and supportive and it makes a difference. I truly appreciate it. While my little class of students is following the law and learning, the tone on campus is far from peaceful. We are stressed and can't make everyone happy. Some students on campus will not wear a mask. That is their choice. Unfortunately, then they aren't able to go into class and then they miss out on in person learning. 

School is for learning. 

On Wednesday, a parent associated with our school was on the local news shaming our school. Parents protested in front of school on Thursday about masks while Russia invade Ukraine. In a time where understanding and kindness should prevail, our school personnel are being blamed for state laws. A law that is probably already in the works to change very soon.

Last year parents were so happy that our little school provided in person learning. How quickly some forgot about that gratitude. 

When there is something you don't like, go to the source. Go to the people who can change the law. Teachers teach. Lawmakers make the laws.