448050911201448 5 Things to Make Teaching Fun During Crazy Times | Polka Dots and Protons - Interactive Science Notebooks & More

My goal is to make interactive science notebooks engaging for 5th grade and middle school science students while improving science test scores. NGSS expert, teacher, tpt author, mom, & widow

5 Things to Make Teaching Fun During Crazy Times

 Things are CrAzY. Wacky, nutty, shocking, wow... It is a crazy time to be teaching but it doesn't have to make YOU crazy. I am really enjoying this year. Don't hate me. For many years I've been a middle school teacher and K-5 science teacher but with the pandemic, I was moved to 5th grade. So this is my first year ever teaching 5th grade. Oh, I'm not done. I am a new widowed mom whose home burnt the 2nd week of school. Yep, flames, firefighters, smoke, moving out while starting the year distance learning with a senior and two boys leaving for college. I have some credibility here. If anyone should be having a crappy year it's me. But... I'm not. I'm having a great time. I am fortunate to have students in class from 8:15-12. So if you are on Zoom 100%, then I'm so sorry. In October, we got back into the classroom. I do Zoom groups in the afternoon but get kids in person each day.




Oh, it started out rocky and I am plenty overwhelmed. Did I mention the house was on fire? We still haven't been able to rebuild the part burnt because we are waiting for permits from the county. So, I live in part of a house. Okay, back to how I've been making this year in the classroom enjoyable.


1. Narrow you goals and focus: I am try to do a few things well. Back to basics. Like Elsa, I have had to "Let it go!" What do you want your students to do really well? Focus on those few things. Reading, writing, and math people. (We read and write about science and social studies too.) I only have the kids for four hours a day so I need to choose wisely. This isn't the year to do it all. Let...it...go. Each week students do Lexia, IXL, Khan Mappers, Readworks, and Spelling City at home. I make my agenda each week for students with a check off list. If we don't get to it, we cross it off. No big deal. Trust me, they aren't even sad about it. Through away the lesson that goes badly. Once we even balled up our paper and just threw it. At least the lesson ended in a fun way.

Sometimes I focus on life skills. This year, we've been working on our cursive signature. It is easy and really something they will take with them in life. I print each student's full name here. This was my mom's idea. She is a retired teacher with great ideas.

Keep expectations super clear and create a simple routine. 

2. Focus on keeping the kids happy: The kids are tense and concerned. Some are miserable. Now is not the time to pile on the homework. How can I keep the kids happy? Put on a Netflix fire on the projector, play a social distanced version of Heads Up, and give out Dojo points for cleaning & helping (then we are both happy!) I give Dojo points for a good jokes. Anyone who cracks me up gets points. I just got light up buzzers to play Playfactile games with. We put hand sanitizer by the buzzers and have lots of fun. It's a jeopardy game with goofy group names and sound effects. Keep yourself happy. You are the boss of you. Your classroom is your place. Make it enjoyable.


3. Teach what you love: I love science and social studies. I do lessons and activities I love. I'm a Mystery Science girl so Doug and I teach science lessons together. I love American history so I love the 5th grade topics. (I would say curriculum but, I wasn't give any.)


4. Art: My teaching partners showed me Art Hub. There are lots of great Youtube videos for those of us who love art but are challenged artists. Today we did the winter scene one. I do it too. It is relaxing and the art makes my classroom so beautiful! Kids love art (most at least.) This is the year to be sure to do art. We need to express ourselves and be creative. When I am stressed like when I worry as classes around me are shut down, it's time for art. If I'm stressed, my kids are probably stressed too. Time for markers. I bought boxes of Crayola black markers and I have Mr. Sketch scented markers too.


5. Love them: You already do this. Give them lots of class jobs. We all need to be needed. My students happily run the place. Some students even buy "teaching grammar" with their Dojo points. I give them the answer key and step back. I am the assistant. Demoted and happy about it. They are going to forget their homework and not capitalize their name. Teach them with love and understanding. Who knows what happened last night or this morning. I am the mom of kids who lost their dad and part of their home. They need understanding and others do too.

  💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗

I know this is a bit too simplified but the point is, I'm having a great time inspite in intense obstacles and enormous heart ache. The kids are fun and we are learning together. Can we do it all? No. This isn't the year to see how much we can cram in. Take a breath and keep some chocolate covered almonds nearby (bottom right hand drawer of my desk.) You've got this!

My friend, Lisa, Yeip, has great ideas for keeping the teaching/home balance work! Click Here to see her tips for avoiding teacher burnout.