My goal is to make interactive science notebooks engaging for 5th grade and middle school science students while improving science test scores. NGSS expert, teacher, tpt author, mom, & widow

Makey Makey in the Classroom


Makey Makey Invention Kits turn everyday objects into game controllers, music makers, and more! I purchased a Makey Makey to use in class and ordered 5 more with donations from Donor's Choose. My students loved them so much, I have another Donor's Choose order of 8 that will be shipped in Sept. for the new school year! It has been challenging to share them so now we won't have to. Makey Makey's can be used to teaching the NGSS ETS standards as well a fun, engaging part of an energy unit.
Mini Dance Dance Revolution Game created with Makey Makey 
Nice aluminum foil conducting bracelet

I used the Makey Makey Invention Kits with grades 4 & 5 and with my 6-8th grade Maker Studio elective. The challenge was to create a game controller that used the Makey Makey. Students had to use the Engineering & Design Process Worksheet. Students had to have their plan approved before building. After building, students needed to improve the project.

Pac Man Game controller with 3D printed Pac Man figures and a Makey Makey Invention Kit

Makey Makey driving game with a cardboard & aluminum foil steering wheel and Asphalt 8 game
Guitar Hero Play Dough Makey Makey Project

The constraints included:
  • The project had to be 13" by 13" or less. (I was doing this project with 140 4th &5th graders and I needed projects to be a manageable size for storage.) 
  • Students couldn't use food or play dough. (Play dough and marshmallows gum up the alligator clips, I have been there and done that. Food gets hard or goes back and I only have my elementary rotations once a week.) 
Students worked in groups of 3 to complete this project. Since I have more Makey Makey kits, I will be reducing the group size to 2 this next year.